• September 5, 2017 at 11:43 am #21948
    EvanCohen
    Participant

I’m starting Lightroom fresh with new HD’s I plan to purchase 2-G Drives 6Tb each, that volume will hold me for quite awhile. I’ll put my photos /catalog on to one and back it up to the other.

I’m not sure the difference between a G-DRIVE vs G-RAID?

Two Questions:
    1/ G-DRIVE vs G-RAID is one more durable…or just faster and bigger?
    also G-RAID is also a lot more expensive?
    2/ I leave my computer on all the time ….Can I leave these external drives on too?
    ……Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your help and advice

September 5, 2017 at 11:48 am #21949
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hi. I will butcher a “Raid” definition but it’s basically drives that have backups built in. It’s a bit confusing and techie for me. So while some of my drives may be “RAID” capable. I just do it the old fashioned way. I buy two and clone them.
    And yes, I leave them on almost all the time. They’re a bit loud, so when I know I don’t need them for a few days I usually shut them off. But I don’t think it hurts to keep them on. And of course, I don’t work for them, so you should definitely check with the manufacturer for what they recommend when it comes to that 🙂

September 5, 2017 at 11:56 am #21953
    EvanCohen
    Participant

Thank You
    You really are the best!!

September 5, 2017 at 2:39 pm #21961
    Mitchell
    Participant

I did a Google search, and this question also appeared in the Fred Miranda forums.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929102

As to leaving them on all the time, just remember that there’s a hard drive in there spinning at 5400 or 7200 rpm, and for typical mechanical HDDs the wearout point is at from 3 to 5 years of constant operation. Your mileage may vary.

You might also want to consider adding cloud backup to you solution. Why? Let’s say someone breaks into your home, they are likely going to take your computer and both external drives.- they don’t care about what’s on them, they just want them for their resale value. If you’re not worried about theft, they think about catastrophic events like fire, tornado, hurricane, etc. So essentially, in addition to your proposed backup solution, you need an offsite backup solution.

September 19, 2017 at 4:22 pm #22560
    forrestgump12
    Participant

Okay, not that hardware savvy. I am currently importing images to Lightroom CC on my iMac. Hard drive space at 75%. Matt, looking at this forum, you use a G-Raid (or two). My question is: Are you importing to your iMac or one of the 4TB external hard drives AND are you using the second 4TB external hard drive as a back up? If you are importing to the first 4TB external drive, did you move your Raw files from the iMac to the external drive? I apologize if I am confusing and I appreciate anyone setting me straight. Thanks!

September 19, 2017 at 8:02 pm #22564
    EvanCohen
    Participant

If I’m not over stepping my bounds?
    I think the answers to your questions are in the “Ultimate Lightroom Guide” in Section 1, Lessons 2 & 6 and Section 14 Lesson 2

Of course I defer to the author
    …Hope this helps

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here