• February 5, 2017 at 8:18 pm #13424
    Janet
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I just put lightroom on a new desktop. Made sure the catalog I was using on the laptop was copied to the external where some of the pictures are that I am working on. All of the pictures are backed up on a Buffalo NAS (also just made an exact copy of the catalog there as well). The Lightroom on the laptop shows both the external and the nas and ALL of the folders in both, with some folders having the question mark on the external because the pictures are not on the external. The problem I am having is that when I attach the external to the desktop with a brand new lightroom 6 (updated) download, Lightroom sees both the nas and the external, but only shows 2 folders in the nas and not all of the folders in the external (with or without the ?). All of these photos were imported through Lightroom after I finished shooting. It’s as if part of my catalog has disappeared just by moving from one computer to another even though both computers are using the same catalog on the external. I even re-installed lightroom again. Before I re-installed lightroom 6 again it showed both, but not all of the folders on the nas and showed the external as having 0 photos on it; view in explorer and everything is there. I even unhooked my nas from my router; it still did not show photos on the external and did not show a ? either. I have tried everything I can think of, but I am at a total loss at this point. I have been trying hard to get everything organized after, 5 years ago, a lousy teacher (and I didn’t know any better at the time, I had literally just installed lightroom for the first time) didn’t take the time to show us how to start and keep everything organized and actually didn’t fell it was necessary.

I am learning a lot from your Ultimate Lightroom Course and can’t wait until the Photoshop Course is out. I would appreciate any help; like I said, I am at a total loss.

Thank you,

Janet B

February 5, 2017 at 9:46 pm #13425
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hi Janet – I wish I knew how to troubleshoot this one. Without being there and seeing it, it’s hard to diagnose. It sounds like it should work good. As long as all of those folders have photos, and you’ve imported them them, they should show up.
    Wish I was more help.

February 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm #13448
    GaryK
    Participant

Hi Janet

Just a thought as an experiment. Could you move/copy the catalogue off of the external and put it on the desktop somewhere and try opening the copied catalogue using file>open catalogue. It would be curious to see if that makes any difference.
    As always make sure you have backups of the cat just in case something happens.

Gary.

February 11, 2017 at 1:53 pm #13505
    Janet
    Participant

Thanks Matt and Gary. At least you confirmed that what I was doing was the right thing. I started over from scratch again and finally got the desktop to recognize the catalog correctly and so far it continues to recognize it correctly. I’m not sure where the problem was because I did the exact same thing both times.

February 25, 2017 at 3:59 am #13707
    Eli
    Participant

i would syinc the photo dir on the nas with the catalog

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here