• December 5, 2016 at 5:03 pm #12568
    Drew
    Participant

Seeking the advice of any who have been using Lightroom for awhile. Do you use a pen tablet, trackpad, regular mouse, a gaming mouse, or something entirely different? I know everyone will have an opinion, but I would like to hear what you’re using.

December 8, 2016 at 2:57 pm #12603
    Matt K
    Keymaster

I use a trackpad for my Mac, and a Wacom Intuos Pro (small version). Love it!

December 8, 2016 at 7:01 pm #12611
    Drew
    Participant

Does the small version of the Intuos Pro work well when you are at home and connected to a larger monitor when editing, or are you always just editing directly on a laptop, or iMac? (I splurged and picked up a Benq 32″ 4k monitor.

December 10, 2016 at 5:43 pm #12629
    Matt K
    Keymaster

I use it everywhere. At home, while traveling, connected to a larger screen and just the laptop.

December 10, 2016 at 5:46 pm #12631
    Drew
    Participant

Thanks for your insight and quick response Matt. Definitely glad I’ve joined the Matt K site!

January 4, 2017 at 7:50 am #12945
    phdcreative
    Participant

I’ve been using Lightroom since the original public beta and for quite some time now I use the Apple Magic Pad and a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet for everything… can’t remember that last time I used a mouse for anything and certainly wouldn’t change it one bit!

January 4, 2017 at 4:29 pm #12953
    Drew
    Participant

Thanks for your input PHD, Wacom Intuos Pro is on the way…. now to find some good Wacom training videos! (Hint, hint)

January 5, 2017 at 8:46 am #12965
    bbestone
    Participant

I just received the Wacom intuos pro tablet ( a gift) and I get the learning curve for the pen, but….( and it’s only been a few days owning it) I’m not understanding what the benefit of it is so far. Is there an instructional video somewhere that actually shows someone using it on the workflow of a photo? I have On1 –which I haven’t used it in yet, plus I have Lightroom 6.
    Hopefully…I’ll like it.

January 5, 2017 at 8:50 am #12966
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hi – For me personally, the benefit is the feel I get from using a pen/tablet, rather than mouse or trackpad. It’s more precise. Also for Photoshop and LR there are a lot of pressure sensitive tools. Meaning if you press lighter, the brush responds different than if you press harder. There’s not quite as many of those tools in ON1 but if you’re using the adjustment brush in ON1, you’ll see the gear icon in the top. You can click that and set it to “Pen Pressure….”, and you’ll get some responsiveness there as well.
    But again, for me, its the feel of the pen/tablet. I don’t use many features of it. Just the fact that I can edit with the pen/tablet feels more natural for me.

March 23, 2017 at 8:18 pm #13868
    James
    Participant

I probably just didn’t try long enough or didn’t set things properly, but I could never get used to *not* being able to make my contact to the Wacom pad be where I wanted it to be on the screen. In other words, when I touched the Wacom, it always moved any cursor to another point on the screen. Just me, I guess, I could not see any difference in the two(?) choices in mapping the pad to the screen. Maybe I need to pull that thing out of the drawer and ‘play’ with it some more. I do like Apple’s Magic Pad, but I also still use the mouse for precise control/placement of the cursor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here