• August 21, 2017 at 9:47 pm #21602
    kentinada
    Participant

Hi Matt, this may be beyond the scope of this forum but thought I’d take a shot anyway. If it is, no worries. We just got back from a trip to the Canadian Rockies. Unfortunately for us, the forest fires burning in BC sent lots of smoke our way and may days, the mountains and sky were covered in a smokey haze. Bummer. But I was playing with replacing a completely grey sky with a blue sky and clouds which is how I actually pictured it would have looked without the smoke. I’m happy with the mask but I’m still not sure how to blend the remaining foreground I kept and the sky today. I tried a couple different adjustment layers and they’re in the PSD file. Before and After JPG’s and the PSD file are here if you’re interested in looking at them:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h396nq0oqj99h87/AABGGOqalRNzHsxRec0pmbZva?dl=0

Thanks, Kent

August 23, 2017 at 1:34 pm #21639
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hi Kent – You’re on the right track. Two things will help.
    1) You need to pull down the opacity of the sky. It’s just too much of a deep blue.
    2) The foreground (mostly mountains) is fairly overexposed and too bright. So you’ll want to take a brush and brush the mountains in the distance so they’re darker.
    Would you mind if I used this in a tutorial? You’re definitely on the right track and I’d love to show people how a couple of small changes get you there.
    Thanks 🙂

August 23, 2017 at 2:08 pm #21640
    kentinada
    Participant

Thanks Matt! Feel free to use it for a tutorial. I’d love to see what you can do with it. I have found that actually replacing the sky is not the difficult part. The hard part is making it look like it belongs to the overall shot.

Kent

August 25, 2017 at 3:08 pm #21686
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hey Kent. Yes, that is indeed the hard part. Replacing a sky and replacing a persons background are the two most difficult things I’ve ever done. And rarely does it ever look dead on. As you said, it’s not the technical part of it – it’s making it look real. And since it’s not real, that’s why it’s so hard.

September 13, 2017 at 10:06 am #22424
    kentinada
    Participant

Hi Matt, In case you’re interested in a 2nd example, I just uploaded 2 files to the same directory as I sent you before. They are KBM_3918.dng and .psd. The dng file is straight out of the camera and the psd file is after manipulating in Photoshop CC. Wow, did the psd file get big! Anyway, while I’m not unhappy with the result, I’m still looking for that last step I’ll call it that seems to tie the replaced sky in with the original foreground. If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Thanks!

September 19, 2017 at 11:14 am #22546
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hey Kent – it’s looking really good. I think the house needs to be a little darker or the sky a little brighter. Right now the deeper blue doesn’t work with the super bright/flat house.
    Great work though.
    What’s your email address by the way… I’d love to talk to you about using these examples in a class I’m working on. If you wouldn’t mind posting it here. I’ll remove it once you do.
    Or shoot me an email on our support page at mattk.com/support
    Thanks!

September 19, 2017 at 11:24 am #22547
    kentinada
    Participant

Hi Matt, sent it to you via your support form. I used to think making the selection was the hardest part of this process. I’m now discovering it’s making the composited photo look believable is the bigger issue. 🙂

September 19, 2017 at 11:38 am #22549
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Oh HELL YEAH it is. I usually tell people when they embark on changing some one’s background or changing out a sky… you are about to do one of THE HARDEST THINGS I know of in Photoshop. Not just technically, but actually making a scene that never existed look believable. I’d say that it only ever really works on 1 out of every 15-20 photos I try it on. Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here