• December 8, 2016 at 3:25 pm #12606
    kentinada
    Participant

Hi Matt, I currently run my photography business and all my personal photos with one, large LR catalog. I’m thinking maybe I should split my business photos from my personal photos. Is it hard to do that? What about all the presets I have installed? Are those independent of the catalog I load? Thanks.

December 8, 2016 at 3:47 pm #12608
    Philipp
    Participant

I might be able to answer that partially.
    I personally like to put events like Weddings that I shoot into their own catalog. So my main catalog stays clean and I can back up on a client basis.
    Presets and LR settings are not connected to a specific catalog but to LR itself.
    I keep a large catalog for my private photos though.

I think for the part of the separation you might want to play with the “export as catalog” feature. Matt will be able to help out more here I`d guess.

December 9, 2016 at 10:38 am #12614
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hi. I normally don’t suggest multiple catalogs, but that’s a good case for them. Keeping things separate can definitely help. You can use the File > Export as Catalog feature in Lightroom to do it. As for presets, they should show up between multiple catalogs without you doing anything. However, if you want to see more about presets, here’s a video I did that tells you everything there is to know 🙂

Ultimate Lightroom Bonus 2

December 13, 2016 at 9:03 am #12651
    kentinada
    Participant

Thanks, Matt! I think I’ll keep them together for now. I was getting an error from the latest LR CC complaining about the size of my catalog but as I read about it, it appears to be a bug in this latest release. Thanks for the guidance non the less!

November 13, 2017 at 7:36 am #26217
    John P
    Participant

Hi Matt
    I have a question about large catalogs. My catalog has 11000 photos referenced. I also have a smaller catalog that I started for my grandson. The speed of opening, and backing up is quite obviously different between the two catalogs. Backing up takes considerably longer with a large catalog especially if I optimise it as well. You were quite definite in your reply on the Office hours 1 video it makes me wonder if there is a bug in mine and should I consider starting again or splitting my catalog?

November 13, 2017 at 8:17 am #26222
    Matt K
    Keymaster

Hey John. First, 11,000 photos isn’t a large catalog. That’s actually a very small one. Yes, backup and optimizing may take longer, but it’s not the kind of thing meant to do while you sit at your computer. I’d set it up to backup or optimize and walk away or go to sleep and let it run.
    I wouldn’t recommend splitting them just because either of those processes takes longer personally.
    Good luck!

November 13, 2017 at 8:44 am #26224
    John P
    Participant

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply. I meant to say 110,000!
    Nevertheless, I take your point and will leave it backing up in the background in the future.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here

Topic Tags